Coleraine

Coleraine

Monday, February 7, 2011

Cork!


This last weekend 3 friends and I were band groupies! We hoped on a bus with some Irish friends of ours who are in a band and were heading to a music festival in Cork. It was great craic, on the bus ride there the band got their instruments out and played some tunes for us. I was so happy and it made me realize how much I'm going to miss Ireland when I leave. We all got to Cork, which is the very most southern tip of Ireland, and settled into our hostel (all 20 of us). Friday night we went to the bar that was having the traditional Irish band competition and listened to music all night! It was brilliant, I loved it. Unfortunately our band didn't win, but they should have!


Saturday Emily, Bridget, Joy-Lynne and I went exploring in the city. We found an inside market and took a bus to the Blarney Castle! The castle is famous for it's Blarney Stone at the very top. You are supposed to kiss the stone and you will have life-long eloquence. It was built in the 1400's and occupied by the Macarthy family. Queen Elizabeth actually made up the word as a way to be rude without hurting someones feelings. For example, blarney would be like asking a woman how old she was because you want to know at what age women are most beautiful. Get it? Sneaky huh :)As we walked around the grounds of the castle we kept discovering little underground passageways and what felt like secret rooms. It was such fun to try and imagine what the people were like who actually lived there. I like to imagine what went on during their lives. We climbed to the top on some VERY narrow, steep spiral stairs and kissed the Blarney Stone! We were literally the only people there because it was rainy, cloudy, cold, and in the middle of February when no tourists are in Ireland, therefore we skipped all the imaginably long lines that would have been there during summer months.
In order to kiss the stone, you have to lay down, side upside down while someone helps hold you, and reach down to kiss it. It's scary! But well worth it. Granny, Dad was saying that you've been there. Did you go upside down and kiss it? Wish we could have gone together!



Saturday night we went out to the Opera House and listened to more bands play. We struggled the next morning to wake up in the early and get back on the bus to head home Sunday. It's about a 7 hour drive, but didn't feel so long because I was entertained the whole time. After our long journey it was time for a much needed nap. Now school has started again and it's back to reality. It's not much of a reality though because I keep thinking of all the travelling left to do. I'm going to Poland March 10-13, Dublin for St. Paddy's Day, Edinburgh April 3-5, and London April 21-24. Whew, I'm going to be exhausted :)

One last thing before I go to bed: CONGRATULATIONS DAD!!! On starting a new adventure in Alaska! Like father like daughter. I'm so excited for you :) Principal Holcomb...it's got a nice ring to it.

Off to bed now, I hope you all are doing well and have a little adventure in your lives as well.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, sweetums! You really are an inspiration to us all to go out and do adventuresome things!:) What a great sounding trip you had to Cork! With all of your exposure to it, Ireland will always be part of you now, won't it! Can't wait to see you in a few weeks. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your last little sign off of "hope you all have a little adventure in your lives" :) I was just telling Dad I think its my turn to do something adventurous now. I'm feeling in a rutt. I LOVE reading about your adventures, and oh my good god the road trip as a groupie to an Irish band sounds pretty freakin spectacular. Wish I could have done that with you!!!

    But Andrew just bought a beautiful new house, you're in Ireland, and Jon took a leap of faith and escaped to Costa Rica. My turn..... lol.

    Saw your facebook message today and I agree with you, I think I accidentally changed my Skype status to offline so it hasn't been popping up when I log in to my computer like normal. I miss talking to you though. I think about you a lot, if that makes you feel any better :) Tomorrow night Beckett and I are going with Mom and DOn and Dana and Justin to a Valentine's Day fundraiser event at Pike Place Brewery downtown that is a Beer and Chocolate tasting!!! I'm pumped. Not so pumped about Valentine's Day itself this year, but I do like chocolate....and beer. :)

    SO won't be home tomorrow to Skype but I have no plans Friday or anytime this weekend so we'll talk soon! Love you! love you! love you!

    <3 BB

    ReplyDelete
  3. BB, why aren't you excited for Valentines Day this year? I'm not especially excited either but that's because I'm halfway around the world from my Valentine. The beer and chocolate tasting sounds AWESOME! I wanna come next year! And I think it is your turn for adventuresomeness. I just made that word up I think. Maybe you could go hang-gliding! Or go on a road trip, or dye your hair, or get engaged :) Muahahaha sorry Beckett, had to say it.

    I miss you and think about you a lot too, fix your skype and lets catch up. I skyped with Jon yesterday, he looks so dark now. Love you!! See you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh Ellie - it's really amazing what a wonderful experience you're having this year...traveling all over Europe and learning how to manage travel plans in and out of foreign countries plus manage all of your finances too! I'm really proud of you. I'm also sooo glad you're blogging about everything. It will be an amazing story for your children some day! I love you so much. Happy Valentine's Day! Any mail yet??

    ReplyDelete